Hello! My name is Denica and I’m a young adult fantasy writer, poet, dreamer, and deep thinker.
I grew up in Western Washington but currently make my home in Kansas City, Missouri. When I was thirteen, I picked up J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring and was instantly swept into a world I somehow knew I belonged in. The Lord of the Rings series, along with other similar literary works, have had a profound impact on my life and my eventual decision to start writing fiction.
I write to discover truth, to find meaning in my own experiences, and to offer readers the hope that they’re not alone and that in the end, darkness doesn’t get the final say.
In addition to writing, I have enjoyed working with children for over eight years, both as a nanny and in various volunteer positions. These incredibly creative little humans have perhaps unknowingly contributed to my writing with their wild ideas and unique outlooks on life.
Here are a few more fun facts about me:
- I absolutely love to travel and wish I could do it more! My favorite place I’ve been (perhaps only second to Hobbiton 😉 ) is Ireland. There’s something so rich and magical about the country.
- While in said country, I got to dance on the Cliffs of Moher! I mean, who gets to say that?
- Speaking of dance, I adore the art form and have been taking classes for about eleven years, starting in ballet as an adult (it’s never too late, right?). My favorite style is contemporary, which is a style very suited to storytelling. Mm-hm. See what I did there? 😉
- Speaking of travel, did I mention that my first plane ride EVER was all the way across the Atlantic to Italy? How’s that for an intro to air travel?
- I may have a slight addiction to coffee. I always look for new coffee shops to try wherever I go in the world.
- I once rode an elephant. It was worth it, yes.
- My favorite shows are Stranger Things, Once Upon a Time, and Heartland. (Yep, good old Canadian horse drama. 🙂 )
- All of the kids I’ve been a nanny for show up in one of my stories, either by their first name, middle name, or part of their name.
To stay connected and be inspired, follow me here and on Instagram!